Download the original attachment A Girl Scout Leader's Musings . . . .: Frustration

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Frustration

Do you ever feel ignored by your council? We are situated approx. 55 miles from our council office. Well it used to be the council office, I guess now it is our “area office” due to the merger. Lord only knows where the main office is now.

Anyhow, we feel like they don’t pay any attention to us. Like we are not worth their time or expense. It’s not like we don’t bring in any money. Last year out of the top 10 sellers our service unit had 2 for the entire council. We do provide money.

We don’t ask for much. We would like to see our local rep. taken out of her closet of an office. No really it is a closet, maybe 8’ x 8’. But, no that isn’t going to happen. We would like to see more training in our area. Don’t see much of that either.

Yes we are mad, and yes it is frustrating. But showing you are pissed off isn’t going to solve the problem. It is time to take action!

We have dropped down to approx. 48 registered scouts in our area. I think we have about 5 or 6 active troops. OK great. I am sure council thinks that isn’t enough to spend time on. Fine let’s build those number.

Let’s let people know we are here. Let’s bring in those girls. No it wont happen this year and maybe not next year. With perseverance we CAN and WILL build girl scouts back up in this area. Let’s not give up! Let’s make sure that we keep the girls we have. Then let’s go out and get some more!

We can make a difference. Let’s build those numbers and then maybe, just maybe our council will take note of us!
   
posted at 7:50 AM  
3 comments

3 a snitching:

Anonymous Anonymous expressed...

We merged also. Are you in PA?

Anyway, with the merger and the downsizing....

I'm with you on the wanting more training that is conveniently located. I am tired of driving an hour for training. And why haven't they posted anymore online training :(

We've also lost a few troops in the area, but we had a new Daisy troop open that meets in the same building I do. The leader has sent out announcements at the schools and everything. People expressed interest, then just didn't show. :( I know that my own troop sizes have shrunk. My older girls drop out because of sports, or the need to feel cool, and they think Scouts isn't cool. Of the girls that started in my original Daisy troop, only two are still members, the entired rest of the troop has quit. Of my original Brownie troop, I have 3 of them still and 2 were my original Daisies. When we bridged to Juniors I took over an existing troop - of which I only still have 2 of those members, 3 years after I took it over.

I keep hearing how there aren't enough troops, there aren't enough troops, when I offer to bring in new girls... no one comes ;)

I'm of mixed feelings. I do enjoy the smaller troops, we have more one on one and taking trips are easier.

Sorry for the comment that resembles a blog. I feel your pain.

October 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Jamie expressed...

We just merged and it's frustrating for me. They've taken away our store bus- yes it was old, gas is expensive, but they have to realize I spend more money in a store than I do in ordering online. They are also closing the main office (in metro Atlanta) and moving it closer to the new area (a town on the far side of Atlanta)- over an hour drive away from us. I only try to go once a month or so now, since traffic is so bad and it costs me in tolls, but I've also had questions that I needed answered about uniforms and I've picked up flyers of things going on, so I don't count it as a complete waste. They had better not cut down on what little training they do here.

October 19, 2007 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous expressed...

*hugs* Jamie. How frustrating for you. It just makes it harder for us. Kudos to you for sticking this out and doing the best you can!

October 25, 2007 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home