Download the original attachment A Girl Scout Leader's Musings . . . .: New Leader Workshop

Friday, October 31, 2008

New Leader Workshop

Last night I hosted my 1st ever mentor meeting. Originally I was going to try and meet with the new leaders on a one on one basis. But then I decided to just host a “meet & greet.” It was informal and something I have never done before.

Please note I am not a trainer (no have a desire to be one) but I do have 32 years experience. I was a Girl Scout from Brownies all they through 12th grade. I was a co-leader for my sister’s troop when I was in high school. I was a Daisy, Brownie, Junior and now Cadette Leader. I was day camp director (at a week long day camp) for 6 years. I also have completed just about every training available to leaders. So I felt that I had something to share.

Training that the council offers is great. But to me it is more nuts and bolts. Paperwork, procedure. It must be done and is well worth the learning experience. But, I don’t think that it truly teaches you what you need to do to get a troop up and running.

Last night we started out with a craft. http://kidscrafts.suite101.com/article.cfm/kids_craft_marbled_paper

  • G-scoutmate - http://www.kscgroup.com/products/gscoutmate.html
  • Newsgroups (Yahoo) – GreenBloodNews, GreenBloodGab. GreenBloodTraditions, and many more.
  • Financial Aide – what it is and how to apply
  • Journys – what it is and how it works
  • Badges, Petals, Tri-its – I explained they would learn more about this in their level training. I suggested that they complete GS in the USA, and the GS Way 1st. That way they could learn about Girl Scouts together.
  • Help from other troops – I told them that there are Junior troops in the area that would like to help them during meetings. I also explained there were Cadette troops that would be there for them.
  • Choices – This is what our council (maybe all do) their activity guide. I told them to take a look at it and see what is offered.
  • Health History/Annual Permission Slips – I explained that I photo copy these double sided on cardstock. I also explained that during their Parent Meeting that this would be a good time for these to be completed. I also told them that I have created a Parent Handbook. I emailed them a copy and told them to use it as a base and tweak it anyway they see fit.

    There was more but you get the idea. I was sent home with homework. Furnishing them with a list of items/supplies they will need to get their troop up and running. Good question and I am all over it today!
  •    
    posted at 8:24 AM  
    2 comments

    2 a snitching:

    Blogger Unknown expressed...

    I wish someone had helped me! I am a first-year leader for Juniors. I assisted with Brownies but the leader did all the planning work and paperwork.

    November 19, 2008 at 9:59 AM  
    Blogger Cari expressed...

    Thank you for posting what you covered in your mentor workshop.

    I am going to incorporate your ideas into my mentoring as well ... we are in a severely under served area and most of our leaders have ZERO experience in GS (not even as a girl), so this sort of practical info is critical for them!

    Thanks again!

    October 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home